Sunday, September 30, 2012

Inspiration in Ithaca

I really am growing to adore Ithaca. It's funky blend of metropolitan and rural, chic and dirty hippy, small town and big culture is quite appealing to me. I love the citywide emphasis on recycling and repurposing, and it fits in altogether too well with my seriously low budget lifestyle.

    I never thought I would say that it is a blessing to make so little money but in this instance it is. Even though my apartment and all of my utilities are paid for I still make so little that I qualify for foodstamps and that is a major blessing because regardless of my living situation my school loans still snag more than half my monthly salary as fast as I can earn it. So because my food is free as long as I eat at home, I have spawned a new love for cooking. I have always loved to bake but now the kitchen is my new hobby (as well as my new employer, the Kitchen Theatre :D). My roommates have no objections, seeing as I frequently get home before they get out of rehearsals they get to come home at least once or twice a week to dinner on the table, and I get to try my hand at whatever Pinterest recipes catch my eye. Cooking can easily be an expensive hobby, so I am feeling quite spoiled.

   I have also been diving into the free and bargain bins whenever I get a chance. One of my favorite new stores, Funky Junk, has a great trunk full of free "junk" which consists of small things they have picked up at estate sales that they know they can't move as regular merchandise in the store. I am more than happy to regularly take an arm load off of their hands and see what can become of it. Last weekend it resulted in this adorable skirt made from old curtains and some curtain ties replaced the sleeves on this adorable vintage blouse that I rescued from our artistic directors garage.


   The weather here has already changed, there is real fall here! The leaves are changing on the trees and it feels like I always imagined autumn would. It is really fueling my desire to heat up the oven and sit in our comfiest chair with a cup of tea and my needle and thread! Here is a glimpse of the trees from my apartment window, isn't it just so picturesque?

No comments:

Post a Comment